Thursday, September 01, 2005
Pizzas easy to make at home
Try your hand at making pizzas at home with this recipe from Lucy Wong of The News Straits Times. Lucy recommends using pita bread so as not having to wait for a long time for the pizza dough to rise.
QUICK AND FUN PITA PIZZA
6 pita breads (15cm in diameter)
2 tsps olive oil
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
1 medium size onion (finely chopped)
1 can (400g) whole peeled tomatoes (finely mashed)
3 Tbsps tomato paste or puree
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
100g button mushrooms (thinly sliced)
3 Tbsps green capsicum (finely diced)
3 Tbsps red capsicum (finely diced)
50g olives (finely diced)
3 pieces canned anchovies (drained and chopped)
4 slices chicken ham (cut into thin strips)
2 chicken sausages (finely diced)
50g canned pineapple (finely diced)
250g grated mozzarella, cheddar and parmesan cheese mix (as in Perfect Italiano Pizza Plus available in supermarkets, or you can make your own)Tabasco sauce (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic, stir-fry for a minute and add diced onion. Fry for two minutes or until the onion is soft.
2. Add mashed canned tomatoes (include the liquid in the can), tomato paste or puree, oregano, basil, pepper and salt. Bring the mixture to boil, then simmer on low heat. Stir to prevent it burning at the bottom, stir for 10 minutes or until the sauce is thick like paste. Leave it to cool while preparing the topping.
3. Spread the sauce evenly over the six pita bread bases.
4. Sprinkle half of the cheese mix over the bases.
5. Add sliced mushrooms, diced capsicum, olives, chopped anchovies, chicken sausages and chicken ham strips on top of the bases. It is not necessary to use all the ingredients for the topping, you can always choose the ones that you like.
6. Lastly, add the remaining cheese on all the six bases evenly.
7. Bake the pizza in a pre-heated oven at 200¢ªC for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the base is golden brown.
8. Sprinkle with tabasco sauce (optional) before serving.
1. Bread can also be used as a pizza base too.
2. You can also create your own toppings e.g. seafood, vegetarian, etc.
Source: Lucy Wong...NST...Pizzas easy to make at home
Posted by Jennie at 1:38 PM